Sunday, August 17, 2014

Indigo Girl



As you know, I have been feeling the blues (and a little green around the gills) lately in terms of my home decor.  Slowly and surely the colour palette has been changing to reflect this new sea and sky feeling.

I am not the only one - a couple of days ago, I picked up the September issue of House Beautiful (which I love, love, love by the way - there is always so much inspiration there for me!) and saw that I am obviously on trend, which should scare everyone, as I am usually exactly three years behind any trends...

september 2014 cover

I am no Naomi, so I can't figure out how to get the photos from the inside of the magazine to show you, but for those of you who do have the issue, if you turn to the article on decorating with blue and white, you will see that the dining room chairs are upholstered very similarly to how i plan to do mine.  I was quite excited to see this!

I quite liked the issue's kitchen of the month, mostly because I thought the tiles were amazing:

blue green wall tile


While at the House Beautiful website, I noticed on the sidebar that if a person was so inclined, they could order Ryan Gosling wallpaper:





I feel that this obsession with Ryan has now gone too far and he ought to get a cease and desist order because this is CREEPY!

Let's leave Ryan and get back to our (colour) story:

Design - Paper - Wallpaper - William Morris - Parrot Decorative textiles; an illustrated book on coverings for furniture, walls and floors, including damasks, brocades and velvets, tapestries, laces, embroideries, chintzes, cretones, drapery and furniture trimmings, wall papers, carpets and rugs, tooled and illuminated leathers (1918). Scan of 2 d image in the public domain believed to be free to use without restriction in the US.
phew - that's a relief - this is what I call wallpaper!!!

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying my dining room these days, and it is only partially done so I can only imagine how I feel when the chandelier is painted and the chair are completed!  And of course, as is always the case, I am now seeing blue and white everywhere.

On pinterest:

Eye For Design: Blue And White Decor......A Perennial Favorite


lovely spring vignette...LOVE the collection of blue and white showcased in this AMAZING all white kitchen


at the bookstore:





In Fashion:

LEYNA DRESS - TORY NAVY SUMO A
Tory Burch

River Paisley Tunic
Anthropologie

Temperley London
J crew:

How to be classiw with a paire of denim



Michael Kors:

Michael Kors | Fall 2014 Ready-to-Wear Collection | Style.com


It is all quite delightful really.

I had planned to leave you with a picture of my blue and white hydrangea out back, but it is pouring out, so we will stick to the internet this not-so-fine Sunday morning...


Have a lovely and peaceful Sunday!  Stay safe out there! xoxo wendy

24 comments:

  1. I have been adding lots of blues to my wardrobe and home too.
    Cant wait to see your chairs,the fabric you picked is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to them being done, too! I think I may stick to only purchasing black or blue this fall, although grey flannel trousers are calling my name...

      Delete
  2. Love blue! Your chairs are going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished product.Sounds like a good day to have a lazy Sunday! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon! It was pretty lazy up until I decided to make broccoli and squash-filled ravioli from scratch! That was a self-inflicted wound!

      Delete
  3. I am loving blue right now and am working on a blue post too...you on the east coast and me here on the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am hopping on the blue bandwagon. New cushions, curtains, and paint for the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blue and white. My current home is more traditional that any I've ever had and I've brought in lots of ginger jars and other touches of blue and white to ensure things don't become oppressive. Looking forward to seeing photos when your dining room is all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I love ginger jars - they are hard to get around here and I scoop them up when I see them!

      Delete
  6. Love blue and white! Over time, I've had blue & white kitchen, blue white silver master bath, blue white silver m. bedroom, navy & white bedroom, blue & white dining room, blue white & taupe living room... not all in the same house of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I thought that would have been a very harmonious house!!

      Delete
  7. There is something very fresh and attractive about blue and white. I'm looking forward to seeing your family heirlooms all spruced up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BLUES THAT SING Well, some part of me would like in blue jeans and good white tees if I could, with the occasional mariniere. So I am down with this. Lovely and calm, yet crisp. I love both the Nordic and British colonial iterations of blue and white, particularly. Also, all for powder rooms that are a bit of a surprise jewel. But that stalker wallpaper is celeb obsession extreme to me. Eeeek WMM! (Said as a Canadian who has seen the boy and his lady on the street during nor mal couple stuff around TIFF.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. live not like, although that's also true

      Delete
    2. I love the swedish/nordic look, though could never live with it myself - it has an austerity to it that I am completely incapable of living with! Isn't that wallpaper hideous???????

      Delete
  9. Love the blue! Need to download the mag. That kitchen is a very nice one in many ways. Definitely going to pin it! Ps I screen shot the pics and use blogger app to upload :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you do it from the digital editions? enquiring minds want to know!

      Delete
  10. Blue & White work so well together and I like the 2 Temperley outfits. Your dining room if off to a great start with that green and those handsome chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No green in dining room - it is a pale blue called fresh air. The sitting room is green and the hallway is about to become the same shade! Don't you love Alice Temperley? Her private bathroom is also in this month's issue of House Beautiful and it is divine!

      Delete
  11. Your hydrangeas are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I wish they were mine! It was too wet, so as I said, I went for a shot of the net! it is sunny today so I may take some photos of the ruin that is my garden!

      Delete
  12. I love blue and white, too; can't wait to see your finished dining room.

    RG-- loved him in one of his early films, "Lars and the Real Girl". So not the cool guy he's become!

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...