Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Beloved Island - the Roosevelts (and MacKnights) in Campobello


Growing up in St. Stephen, whenever you had friends from "away", you always took them to Campobello.

I hadn't been for nearly 30 years, but decided I wanted to go again in advance of Ken Burns's upcoming series on Teddy, FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt, set to air on PBS this fall.



And I don't know about you, but when Ken Burns sets his sights on telling a story, I am all ears.

Roosevelt began summering here with his parents in the 1900s and for over 50 years, there were Roosevelts on the island.





It was Barry's first time at the cottage.  Even seeing it from a distance, it never ceases to delight me...





The inside of the cottage is exactly as it was when FDR and Eleanor and the children summered there, save for 5 items that needed to be reproduced:








the master bedroom











It reminded me very much of Edith Wharton's house actually, though the setting here is all about the ocean beyond and lacks the formal gardens at The Mount.


The back of the house overlooking the ocean


the old ruined weir

The view from the backyard

A sailboat posed prettily for me as I was shooting...

The Hubbard "Cottage" next door


The view out the large oval window in the Hubbard cottage.  You can actually host conferences and meetings and stay here...


Me at the cottage:


It was sunny but cool and I was glad I bought a warm sweater to throw on..


The cottage has been lovingly maintained by the American and Canadian governments, who jointly run the International Park together.  Many people are surprised to see the Canadians champion the Roosevelts to the degree that they do, but on the Island, they were considered family.



Revisiting the cottage in advance of the upcoming PBS series was a treat and will make the watching of it that much more special to us.

Campobello is very accessible on the eastern seabord - only 4 hours from Boston (at most) and no need to take a boat, though I highly recommend taking the ferry from Campbello to Deer Island to Near St. Andrews.  You are sure to see all manner of birds and beast and often a whale or two.

If you want more information, by all means go here.

It was a lovely visit on a lovely day.



Someone come visit quick, so I can take you down!

Have a great day and stay safe out there!  xoxo wendy

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Well I guess you know where we're going when we visit, MrBP will go mad for it. We should plan for next summer and include a stay at our new cottage aka The Algonquin Resort.
    You and Barry are both looking so well and the vision of summer. Tell Barry I set up my new bar today and when I placed the Ste Germain in the line-up I thought of you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goody! And then 2 days in Freddy Beach! We will have a gem of a time!

      A little package just came in the mail! I believe you are gone now or I would call to say thanks! Will do so next week, but know that I am all a dither!!!!

      More tomorrow or the next day on Eastport, which he will equally go mad for! Tell him I will take him in circles, but they will be good ones!

      Delete
  2. I love your pictures. Always enjoy looking at homes and how others lived in the day. When you come down I'll take you to the Biltmore in Asheville. In the meantime, I do need to visit. Canada one of these days soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways they lived very simply - especially compared with their neighbours, the Hubbards. I guess that's old money versus new! But what a view. I am taking you up on the Biltmore!!! come to Canada - we will try not to hurt Hunter!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard about Campbello! I've been to FDR's 'Little White House' retreat in Warm Springs, Georgia but never knew of their Canadian cottage...nor have I ever seen Eleanor looking so attractive as in that top pic. That Burns doco will be interesting and Teddy has always been one of my favorite American leaders.
    As noted above Wendy, you and Barry are looking very full of vim and vigor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSL - Teddy is one of my faves now too, since reading the two McCullough books on his life and the Panama Canal. You would love it there - it is the kind of place where a man of your sensibilities could have a good stiff drink and look at the ocean and think deep thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Elbert Hubbard is a household name but Campbello is totally off the chart.
    Thank you for the introduction....you both look like you are in your element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I mentioned several times to Barry that I was born to live in such a place, I just haven't gotten there yet...

      Delete
  5. I've never been there, but friends boat there all the time so maybe we'll hitch a ride. Looks wonderful. Are you swooping further south?? I'll be out on Monhegan at some point, totally different type of island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No swooping yet - am hoping for an October/November swoop!

      You would love it! I am working on a post about Eastport as well! Never been to Monhegan!

      Delete
  6. Lovely, I wish we had planned for more time in NB this summer. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooohhh, I'm also looking forward to the series! PVR has been set. Thanks so much for the tour...you both look great, and I must say I love Barry's shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca - I am with you! As for Barry's shorts - Gap factory that I bought him for Florida but he wears them all the time!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos, Wendy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to visit there again! Thanks for the refresher. Have you seen the movie Hyde Park on the Hudson about Roosevelt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get anyone to watch it with me - maybe Barry will agree now!

      Delete
  10. Looks like its time for us to take another tour as well. Can you imagine all your worldly goods on display for generations to come and view?? Seems a bit odd yet compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting trip. You call that a 'cottage'!! It looks quite a size to me. and such a beautiful setting - I'll take it! I doubt I'll ever see these places in the flesh so it's lovely just to pop along with you via the blog and explore.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...