Saturday, August 3, 2013

Random Saturday Musings

If the sun is shining, when you read this I will be standing in my driveway, selling my junk.  sigh...

1) Nigella is divorced

I don't know about you, and of course I have nothing to base my thoughts on except for the media and we know we can't always trust the media, but...I am glad Nigella Lawson has divorced Charles Saatchi. 

Or should I say Billionaire Charles Saatchi, since that is how every media outlet describes him.  From what I have read the man is a bullying control freak (did you know I read that he wouldn't eat her food - that is a sign of someone who really wants to belittle their partner...apart from the most recent antics..)  It turns out you can get a quickie divorce if you say you don't want any of the billionaire's money.  Good for Nigella.  She has had a lot of tragedy in her life, and while a powerful man may seem exciting and interesting at first, if he is of the ilk of Charles Saatchi, she can most definitely do better...

Nigella Lawson leaving a private residence with her daughter Cosima in London on June 21, 2013. (KPB/WENN.com/Newscom)

2) Mick Jagger Turns 70


mick, jagger, drugs, rock, roll, rolling, stone, anita, pallenberg, music, keith, richards, birthday, glastonbury,
Source

Some of us are getting older.  I can remember when Mick was a fine young thing (I was a significantly younger fine young thing).  Mick has evolved into quite a dandy in his later years, though he still takes the band out for a spin now and then (likely to pay for all the houses and children from various women).

It is a funny thing as the original rock warriors age.  The Stones were bad boys who liked to have a good time and didn't mind if people knew.  I would argue that their last great album was released in the 1970s, but they have filled every major venue for so many decades, who cares?

Happy Birthday, Mick!

3) Fall 2013 Colour Trends

A few week's ago, Pantone released its fall 2013 fashion colour trends:


The older I get, the less these colour stories speak to me, though I guess we all get impacted depending upon how fashion designers interpret and present these colour stories.

When I was in St. Andrews this week, I purchased a couple of items in a colour which I find infinitely flattering - tea rose/rosy pink.  See my scarf below.  I also bought a sweater in the same shade from a different shop which I will model for you in the next week.



I have always loved this pink and it is always flattering for my colouring. 

File:Open arms.JPG
 
 
Despite loving it, I have sometimes avoided this colour, as it is such a sweet shade, but matched with grey (as above) or browns or nudes or whites, it is a lovely colour.  What I also found, as soon as I wrapped the scarf around my neck, was how happy this colour made me.  I mean, I felt seriously good wearing this shade.  The only other colour that makes me feel that good when I wear it is this colour:
 
 
This is an Eileen Fisher Top in Crystal Blue, but I think of this shade as more of an Aegean Blue or an Adriatic Blue.
 
it makes me think of Greek Seas:
 
 
Either way, these are two shades which are very flattering on me and which make me feel fantastic.  Expect to see more of these in my wardrobe.  You have been warned.  And no... they are not a trendy colour for fall.  Oh well...

How about you - any colours you are particularly loving these days?
 
 4) Sanctuary!!!
 
 
Just heard that Quasimodo - whoops! Edward Snowdon - has received asylum in Russia!  This can hardly be a surprise.  I mean the US and Russia, despite public protestations of grudging respect, are really the Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots of our times.



National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden's new refugee document granted by Russia is seen during a news conference in Moscow on Thursday, August 1. Snowden slipped quietly out of the airport on Thursday <a href='http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/01/us/nsa-snowden/index.html?hpt=hp_t2'>after securing temporary asylum in Russia</a>, ending more than a month in limbo.

Apparently, Snowden has "made a lot of friends" during his time in the airport.  Uh-huh. Mary had a lot of "friends" that helped her out, too, including old Elizabeth. I wonder if Snowden really thought this all through before embarking on this adventure.  Whether you think he was justified in his actions, a traitor, or just simply a very naïve young man, I do wonder how this story will eventually end...

And that, my friends, is what I am thinking about today (besides how much I ought to charge for an old lamp...)

Stay Safe out there!
 


27 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend, Wendy! Love your scarf and I love pink too, as you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! I've been a bit absent from the blog world for the past week. Will try to rectify that this week.... I love that shade of pink, too!
    Poor Nigella. I hope she finds some peace away from that rich old bully.
    Have a great weekend! We've got a dinner party at our house tonight, so back to the kitchen for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh have fun - but not too much fun, you want to get up tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Oh, and good luck with the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quasimodo, how apt. It's ironic that he ends up in a country which is not really known for respecting privacy laws and other basic rights. I am loving that shade of pink and blue. Good luck on the sale, you are very brave. Quiet day for me but I'm going to watch Blue Jasmine, the new Woody Allen film tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Marie - let me know how it is - that is on my list!

      Delete
  5. That was a fast divorce! I hope Nigella finds happiness, she is a treasure. Sometimes I read her cookbooks just because I like her writing, and of course her recipes are amazing. He didn't eat her food? Enough said!
    Good luck with the yard sale. I'm planning to do some housework and hopefully organize the garden shed. MrBP lost the key to the shed, it's been locked for 2 weeks, and so we've had to break in. It was very easy which has led us to storing our bikes in the basement, I don't think the burglars want garden pots so we can just leave it unlocked.
    I need to make dinner for a couple coming over this evening... I think I'll turn to Nigella's "Forever Summer"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the best chicken curry recipe last night from BBC Good Food site - was as good as what we had with GF in T.O.!

      I love Forever Summer - will have to dig that out today!

      Delete
    2. That BBC site is a great "what to make" resource, and I am always happy to hear you are having a curry.

      Delete
  6. Tyler and I will be going through all of his stuff and packing it up this weekend. He will be back to Auburn and his own place next Sunday. Em and I hit the stores yesterday, tax free weekend, and we're a bit unimpressed. I did get the green Tippi...decided green, navy/blue, and grey are really my colors and dabbling in anything else is really just a waste of money. Do not know much about Nigella and I really do have mixed emotions on Snowden, not one for Big Brother but do want national security. I did one yard sale and hated every minute of it. Took it all very personally. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, wow two lots of college pack-up, go you!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your yard sale. I am long overdue for one. I agree, that color of pink in so pretty, but hard to find. Hot pink and mauve y pinks are everywhere, but rarely a nice rose. I like the blue for you. My favorite is very dark green, and I missed out on the Tippi last year, so I am crossing my fingers for one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CALM SALE-ING Morning WMM, thinking of you and counting on a good turn-out for the effort, a stash for buying uni supplies. Really hoping the third time is the charm for the Domestic Goddess. Don't always agree with her cooking methods (no heresy meant), but adore her writing, panache and fact she won't be airbrushed or crash dieted. After the tragedy of John and the humiliating, nasty, dastardly of Saatchi, she really deserves a good bloke! As for Mick & Co., Brown Sugar still rocks, but no more spandex pants on the streets of Toronto, puh-leese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it turned out to be an okay turn-out - we didn't advertise, which is just as well. but we made $100 and all is cleared out! As for the Stones - I gotta pick "Angie", "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "the Girl with the Far Away Eyes"! Yee-haw!

      Delete
  9. Hi Wendy, good luck with the yard sale - we are due for one, but I really can't be bothered.

    I do love Nigella's writing - the first book of hers that I bought is How to Eat and it makes wonderful reading. It will be interesting to see where she goes from here.

    I love that shade of pink on you, I think that Knit Yarns is right, it's hard to find. I especially like pink with navy blue.

    I'm dying to see Blue Jasmine, I've read some good reviews, especially of Cate Blanchett. However, I'm pretty sure it won't come to our cinemas here anytime soon - will probably buy the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia! The yard sale was a success although we did shut it down after only 2 hours - really, that's all I can take of that sort of thing!

      Delete
  10. I love the pink/tea rose color on you!!!! I hope that your yard sale was a huge success!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I had a driveway sale, I got the bright idea of displaying all the books in a bookcase. Someone talked one of the older kids into selling the bookcase and there I was, left with stacks of old books and no place to put them.

    Well, good luck with the sale and the clean-up! loving that pink on you, and you should hand on to your Gardenshade skirt to wear with the pink stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should have seen the son selling things - he was discounting before they even made the first offer!

      Delete
  12. I am so glad to hear Nigella is divorcing Charles Saatchi - he sounds horrible! She is much better off without him. I am a huge fan of hers, I lined up twice to see her when she came to Toronto for book signings!

    That shade of pink is excellent on you. Hope your yard sale went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life's too short to be married to a prick. I hope Nigella has a new, wonderful chapter in her life. I cannot believe Mick is 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi - really, I think we ought to embroider that motto on a pillow!!!

      Delete
  14. You've used a copyrighted photo in this post without prior approval from the photographer. Please remove it immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...