Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday: Review of Featherweight Merino Vneck, Christmas Roses and a White Skirt

About a month ago, I decided that I had a gap that needed fixing - I wanted a navy lightweight vneck.  In her blog Friday, Fred posted here about how it feels as if the J Crew delivery truck is just circling her neighbourhood.  I typically have the opposite problem.  I place an order and then wonder when the hell it will actually show up.

The navy vneck (which sadly is off the site today or I would post the JC picture) is a staple.  I could imagine wearing it with my trousers and with skirts, shorts, etc.  It is just the right shade of navy - a true, dark one.  Normally, I would take a medium in these sweaters, but I wanted a slouchy, casual look and I did not like the colours in the Boyfriend version, so had decided to go to a Large.  Of course the Large was sold out.  However, I am not one easily deterred so I called JC to have someone do the store search.  "We'll look they said, and someone will call you in the next two days"   Well no one called.  I assumed it wasn't coming.  In the interim, I decided to order the black featherweight cotton vneck, my second choice, but the closest I could find to what I was looking for (and believe me, I checked all the sites!).

So imagine my surprise when the sweater arrived on Friday.  It is gorgeous and exactly what I wanted.

Here I have paired it with my old domino cafe capris in navy and a navy tank, which is not really required, but it was cool yesterday!  It is slouchy, which is what I wanted.



Back behind the plant, with my little metallic blue ballets.  I love those shoes and wore this outfit to go grocery shopping in the morning with my fatigue jacket. 

And on the bed so you can see the blue in another light.  I would ask that you turn your gaze towards the dresser and my jewellry cabinet in the background, both of which are completely covered in my husbands clothes...



This is a lovely sweater and if you can get one, I would highly recommend it!  Of course, I decided that today I must remember to cancel the black, which was scheduled to ship on the 30th.  Of course, I arrived home from my party last night only to see that it has already shipped.  Sigh... I will not be keeping it, so another return charge.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and I spent a good two hours in the garden.  I still have so much cleaning up work to do, but it is coming.  My little patch of crocuses or croci were looking so brilliant against the drab spring world:



Gardeners like to read about other people's gardens and those stories don't even need a lot of pictures.  Garden writing is its own genre and I am definitely a fan.  One of my favourite garden writers is the late, great, bon vivant, Beverley Nichols.


Beverley was a prolific writer, writing a whole series of books about the houses and gardens he loved, imparting both wisdom and catty humour in every one.  The first trilogy, about his little thatched cottage and its garden (and the nosy neighbours) in Glatton, Cambridgeshire, is my favourite, but the ones about his years in his house Merry Hall is also wonderful.

The books have lovely illustrations and photographs and it is like taking a trip back in time, especially the first trilogy, which was written in the 1930s.  They are stories, how-to's and glimpses into how the genteel, wealthy gardened and are just wonderful!  There are also little stories about his social life, with mentions of the set Nichols ran with: Noel Coward, Cole Porter, etc.


Beverley once wrote:

"I never say to people 'would you like to look at the garden?' because any lover of gardens, even if he sees only a lawn and a solitary herbaceous border, will ask to see it himself."

And he is right!

I recommend starting with Down the Garden Path and then reading the books in order. 

 


One flower in particular that Nichols wrote that caught my attention is the Christmas Rose.  I had never heard of this type of rose before reading of his adventures in growing them.  Once I looked into it, I realized that they are known here in Canada as a Hellebore.  In England, where Nichols lived, they bloom at Christmas time, hence the name.  So imagine my delight two years ago when they started carrying them at my local nursery.  I bought three plants and planted them and waited.  The second year, there were no blooms, but this year, every one of the plants is getting ready to bloom.  What the plants look like:



And the beginnings of a bloom:



I was on my belly taking this shot!  They are lovely and delicate and if the nursery has more this spring, I will add more to the garden!  So they bloom in England at Christmas and in Atlantic Canada in late April/early May!

As you know, I am still looking for a lovely skirt like M's.  None have quite done it and so I have decided to wait rather than settle.  However, I did finally bite on this J Crew sale, after much careful consideration and filled a gap: the white skirt.  I have none and I would like one, so I ordered the daisy skirt in the end.

Daisy lace mini

 All cotton, it will be very nice when the temperatures rise and the white pants can no longer be stood!  It is hard to imagine that this morning, but it will come soon enough!  The pool cover is off and the pool man will be here tomorrow to get it all set up and then the water man will arrive Tuesday to top it up.  Barry anticipates we will be able to swim within 10 days.  We shall see.  I hate being cold!  And even if the pool is warm, the air needs to be cool, too!

And an update on last night's shenanigans - it was a wonderful party!  I knew most of the women there, but met some lovely new ones and we laughed and ate and just had fun.  Our hostess, who is one of the loveliest and kindest people I know, had little gifts for all of the attendees and we did a yankee swap.  Much hilarity ensued as people traded nail polish for books and napkins and candles.  I came home with napkins, and paper clips shaped like dolphins.  It was great fun!

So have a wonderful Sunday.  If you stop by, check the yard - I will be out working again!  Stay safe out there!







41 comments:

  1. I love that white skirt! You will have to let me know how it works out for you. I ordered the dress like it and it is too short but it's really beautiful. Maybe I should try the skirt, but I really like that shift silhouette on me. Urgh, J. Crew just needs to make the things right, why is it so hard to offer a Tall version in these dresses, particularly the shift styles?

    I will leave the gardening to the rest of you, it is a mysterious foreign land to me :)

    I like your navy blue ensemble, particularly with the bright blue shoes, they give the outfit an extra bit of spunk. Really like those Domino eyelet capris but I vaguely recall trying them out and they didn't work so well on me. They look great on you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate! I actually ordered a size larger in the skirt than I normally would so I could wear it lower on the hip to ensure a) no muffin top and b) a longer skirt. Will let you know for sure! Gardening is still a mysterious land for me, too - I learning something everyday and make all kinds of mistakes. But when it is all in bloom, it is worth it. Too bad about the dress - I thought it was lovely! Now I have to get off my hiney and order the self-tanner!

      Delete
  2. I love the white skirt WMM! I agree and wish they'd offer tall, b/c I'd have ordered it in a heartbeat. I hope it works out for you, it's lovely. I heard a rumor it's going to be mid-70's by me in the coming week, so I might need to get my self-tanner out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hearing mid to high 60s! I cannot wait!!!! i am hoping it works, too! Will hold onto the black sweater until it arrives - I'd rather send back only one package at a time!

      Delete
  3. SHIPPING NEWS WMM would it be odd if I started reading gardening books in lieu of any sort of garden (well, the concrete jungle does not count)? And I think it is bad when you and I are sizing up for length, must be postage stamp on all the regular-to-tall folks. For a person who has to hem capris and sleeves, I am always checking JC Crew non-pencil skirts and non-occasion frocks - for a hem I can let out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny GF! One of my all-time favourites is by Katherine White (E.B. White's wife) who wrote "Onward and Upwards in the Garden" I read gardening books long before i had one; I think I will tilling the soil so to speak! We'll see if the skirt works like a I want to wear it. If not, back it will go to!

      Delete
    2. GF, I agree with WMM, would not be at all odd. When I lived in the city ad had no outdoor garden and no time, I fell asleep to garden books. Love KWhite's book; "Green thoughts" by Eleanor Perenyi is one of my favorites. Anything by Henry Mitchell is very civilized. I have slews of homesteading books and old books by people who have fled NYC, usually, for the country. Michael Korda's "Country Matters" is one of the best. I'll stop myself now...

      Delete
    3. Lane - I LOVE green thoughts! I have to searh now for the Korda book!

      Delete
    4. Right then, have added to my library and Amazon list. Will city on my balcony over the city zoom and read/ think green thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I must get those books! And a hellebore! I think Christopher has those in his garden, maybe he'll give me one.
    I've been planning my garden for this year, I'm planting some new roses and flowers and lots of herbs. We found a gardener (well Berna found him!) to do the maintenance at our house and our office, (which has a beautiful little boxwood and herb garden that I never have time to take care of). This frees up time for planting and enjoying, I get so bogged down by the garden to-do list, especially if MrBP doesn't have time to help with the grunt work!
    Today we are doing a bit of a clean up and I can't wait to get outside.
    Your navy sweater is so nice, what a smart buy, you'll wear that so much. And that skirt, it's beautiful.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani! Lucky you on the gardener, although to be honest, I like to have my hands in the soil and do the weeding myself. What I really want is a gardener to come and walk the property with me once it is all in bloom and give me some advice. I must do that this year - I am sure that would not be expensive!! I am off to shower and then to head out again. I like to wait till it is about 10 degrees!!

      Delete
    2. If Christopher was nearby he would do it for a glass of scotch, he is easily bribed!

      Delete
    3. God - I should fly him in for the weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hi WMM,
    Your navy sweater idea is great- slouchy is best for the featherweight, I think. I love the bright blue ensemble with the metallic shoes, and the daisy skirt too. If it is too short, you could see about having a tailor add a wide grosgrain waist band to add some length. It really is a pretty skirt- and might cost less than return shipping! Your crocuses are so inspiring. I should plant but I have too much work inside today- and yet another baseball game to attend...
    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hope your slugger does well! I will soon be planting my summer bulbs, but job one is to get the whole yard cleaned up and that is a job indeed!! Good idea about the skirt if I need it and that would be a special detail regardless! I am off to take my red dress to the tailor for a nip-tuck this week, so will discuss with here!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the mention, Wendy! We're seeing flowers on the terrace plants, a blue clematis in particular has gone wild. Indoors the battle of the strange little bugs including spider items continues. Need help here, the plants are starting to look weary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sort of plants are infested?

      Delete
    2. I was just about to ask the same thing!

      Delete
    3. Indoor Meyer lemon - has been fine for years and bears lovely crops, so I want to work on it.

      Delete
    4. autocorrect is no entomologist. plant has spider M I T E S. dammit.

      Delete
    5. Oddly, I have never had these! It sounds awful!

      Delete
    6. I would rinse off the whole plant if small enough to get into the shower and then use Safer's insecticidal soap ( organic, comes premixed or concentrated).

      Delete
  7. Lovely outfit, that's exactly how I want to look running around town, I really like the slouchy sweaters that are out just now, all of mine feel too tight and nipped in.
    Our hellebores have died a painful death, the colder weather over the last three winters has made us lose about half of the mature stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about the hellebores! I was unable to grow Colmbine here, though they were said to be hardy to my zone! I was actually thinking I should cover mine with straw or something next winter!

      All of my sweater feel too tight as they are too tight! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Funny, that sweater was the opposite of slouchy in my size, maybe I should have sized up. Not to be a,party pooper but that skirt looked very short on the hanger, be prepared! It is lovely though and if I hadn't the one from two years,ago I would probably give it a try.
    If it doesn't work Joe Fresh has,a great liken skirt tgat comes in white and other colors and only costs $19! It is above knee but not mini and more casual than this one (has a drawstring and it is quite full but in a,good way), very summery. I got it in red but it was hard to resist the white one. I will post pics one of these days.
    As for gardening, I can't keep a plant alive so thanks God we don't have a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen that skirt at our local Joe Fresh - will keep an eye out - ours is teeny-tiny! Will let you know about skirt! Have you seen the straw shoes? I would love to know what the quality is like!

      Delete
    2. The skirt just hit the stores, so maybe on your next visit. I made so many typos in my comment that I am not sure that the fact that it is linen came across!
      I saw the shoes, very briefly, and they looked nice. I will look closer the next time!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ema! I love straw but am always nervous that the construction is good!

      Delete
  9. You will feel so smart you got that sweater. I have the regular weight merino navy V and it goes everywhere. You can wear it with your future white skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the classic colour and styles are the best for me now. Then I can punch them up with scarves or jewellry!

      Delete
  10. I love the navy with electric shoes, very chic! I once had hellebores shipped to me from the nursery in UK, this was my crazy gardening phase. They did not grow that well though, I think the summers were too hot for them. Also, I had a baby and a dog at that time and I was also afraid that they are poisonous. That was three houses ago, maybe I should reconsider, they are so pretty. They bloomed in January for me, which was the coolest thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! I am not living - I never think of having things like shipped to me - you may be creating a monster in! I think that anything that blooms in January is so cool!

      Delete
  11. LOVE Christmas roses!

    Also love that white skirt. Would you like me to get it for you in Vancouver? I'm pretty sure I saw some in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose -it's en route, but will let you know if it doesn't work! Ema has me slightly nervous! however, am crossing my fingers!

      Delete
  12. I have been a lurking reader for quite some time now, and am finally moved to comment by your mention of Beverley Nichols (one of my favourite garden writers ever!) and to say that here in Southwestern Ontario my hellebores are blooming up a storm. They are one of my garden highlights - I've managed to acquire plants in a range of colours from the very dark reddish black through the medium pinks to off-white. After 5 or 6 years, they've also started to seed themselves and are popping up in other areas around the garden, too. I have them under an old apple tree where they get full sun in the spring and then are shaded in the hottest part of the summer, and have found them completely maintenance-free. I think they are one of those plants that will thrive if left alone as long as they're in a spot that suits them - I wish I could say I had the same kind of luck finding a spot like that for lupins! They only last a year or two in my yard. Another gardening book I'd recommend is A Way to Garden by Margaret Roach (who used to be gardening editor for Martha Stewart) - it may be out of print by now, but it was a nice combination of photos and interesting text describing Roach's home garden. Can't say I relate to the J Crew discussions - their stuff just doesn't fit my body type - but I'm about your age and decided to retire a few years ago for many of the same reasons you have mentioned, and I look forward to reading your blog every day. It's so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SusanE - I am so glad you chimed in! I will have to look for Margaret's book - I loved when she was Martha's gardening editor - she was so good! You have inspired me to go look for more of these - I really love them and besides my crocuses, are really the only game in town right now!!

      Delete
    2. Her other book is good too-- "And I shall have some peace there-- trading in the fast lane for my own dirt road"

      Delete
  13. J crew did that to me also. Never heard from them then the item arrived five days later much to my delight. We have Lenten Roses, hellebores, here. They bloom during Lent. They get bigger and bigger every year. Everything is in full bloom..tulips, irises, azaleas, if only it would stop raining...nap time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB - that is it - I am getting on a plane! I was just telling SUsanE that my christmas roses are really the only game in town these days for me! However, I am patient and hopeful, the two best qualities that a gardener can have!

      Delete
  14. You know a navy v-neck is one of Ines de la Fressange's must-haves, right? Of course you did and why you needed it in your closet for a chic and timeless wardrobe.

    Taking that pic of the flower on your belly reminds me of how I've been documenting dandelions. A weird post to come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany Rose - I am pretty sure you and I are destined to meet someday and discover that we share the same great-great grandmother or something!!! Yes, I did know about Ines and I liked the slouchy, slightly bigger fit, which may not be ideal on short, busty me, but one has to live!

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...