Saturday, March 9, 2013

Random Saturday Musings

I know, I should be telling you all about my trip, but of course, there is also a lot going through my head this week that I have been unable to dump into your heads and thus clear out my cobwebs...  So, time to sit down with a cup of coffee and chat!!!!

Is it a Boy or a Girl? Who Cares?

Does it matter?  I am so surprised by the media attention about the sex of Kate's baby!  And Kim Kardashian's baby.  And Jessica Simpson's baby.  I don't think I was that interested in my own children's sex before they were born!!!  I found I was saturated in this baby sex madness when I was in NYC, where it was treated as "news" by the morning shows.  I personally do not think it is news, but then you know I do not get out much these days (except when I REALLY get out!)

I continue to be amazed that poor old Kate keeps on keeping on.  Miss Tab's posted on the whole Hilary Mantle kerfluffle here, which was brilliant, and I think there is WAY too much pressure on that poor girl.  Even Kim and Jessica, who appear to "court" media attention at every turn (and that is all I am saying and I have nothing against either lady and wish they and their future husbands and children all the best - peace out, etc, etc) must be getting a little overwhelmed by all the attention. 

What I will say is this: I look exactly as pregnant as Kate does in silhouette - does this make us soul sisters, or me just chubby right now?  You decide....Darn, those tall pregnant ladies look so much better than those of us of more petite stature!

Sad Goodbys

Besides our dear AudreyBella losing her beloved dad this week (who I know we are all sending good thoughts and prayers to), there seemed to be a plethora of sad news items this week.  I was so sad to hear that Valerie Harper is so very unwell.  My childhood memories of watching her first on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, then the Rhoda show, are such happy ones and she always had this cool girl vibe and likely influenced a lot of fashion choices in the day:



Doesn't that look like a Jules dress in the picture above?  I have always loved her and so have added her to my list of people who need lots of good thoughts for the journey ahead.  I caught her message to her fans that was placed on the internet this week and it is graceful and kind and joyful.  So, much love Valerie and thank you!  If you have not seen it, it is not morbid or tacky at all - it is a simple 2 minute message from her to her fans and while I was not going to watch it, when my daughter pulled it up I did and was glad I did so.

In a similar vein of popular 70s shows, Bonnie Franklin, the mother on One Day at a Time, passed earlier this week.  If you were a teenage girl in the 1970s, you were likely watching this show.  It sure had an impact on me.  Her character, Anne Romano, was a single working mother raising two teenage girls and horror upon horror, she had SEX sometimes WITH MEN SHE WAS NOT MARRIED TO!  While a lot of the episodes seem dated now, it was ground-breaking at the time and she was a real role model!  RIP Bonnie - you were wonderful!


My final goodby is for a musician whom most Canadians would consider THE quintessential Canadian.  Stompin' Tom Connors, a country/folk singer not only loved his country, but he proudly wrote about every aspect of it, from Saturday Nights in Sudbury to picking tobacco in Tillsonburg to trucking potatoes across country.  It sounds corny, but it wasn't  and he became a beloved icon of proud Canadian patriotism, something not always evident in a country that often compares itself to the sexier friend who lives next door.  There is not a canadian child of a certain age who didn't learn the provinces of Canada and their capitals from Stompin' Tom.  For those of you unfamiliar, here he is singing "The Good Old Hockey Game", which is likely played at some rink in Canada every 10 minutes from September til June!  Watch him when he comes out on stage - he is carrying a piece of plywood, which he needs when he begins stomping.  Tom was a troubadour and told his life and hard upbringing through his songs and I would sure recommend his music to anyone!






But enough sad stuff!  Let's talk fluff!

J CREW JEWELRY

I know I have been slagging on J Crew a lot lately, but I am here now to give some props and perhaps some advice to Mickey D.  I was most surprised by how much I liked J Crew's spring jewelry.  On my computer screen, a lot of it looks cheap (there - I have said it and I feel all the better for it!).  But in real life, it was quite lovely and almost all of it did not look cheap at all.  This does come back to my pet peeve about J Crew - the website pictures!  Mickey - you must do better!

One item that really impressed me as being SO lovely in person was the beaded rose bracelet below:


Beaded rose bracelet
You can buy it here
 Oh it looks okay here, but in person it is very unique and delicate looking (if one could describe a large flower bracelet as delicate looking!)  and very nice.  I think having everything photographed against stark white can make some things look cheap.  I was not a fan of this bracelet or necklace until I saw them in person - thank God we have bloggers who can share nice real life pictures with us!

Looking for Advice

One thing I saw in NYC which I did not buy were the following J Crew Ballet flats:


The Nora Striped Ballet flats.  I saw these in store and liked them very much.  They are now on sale.  I think they would be nice for Spring into Summer.  What do you think - be honest (though I know you will be!)

I also want a jacket for my summer list.  Two items I am watching:

The tipped linen schoolboy in black:

Petite schoolboy blazer in tipped linen


or The Schoolboy Blazer in crosshatch linen in the Bronze Moss Colourway:

Schoolboy blazer in crosshatch linen

I actually ordered this to try since it is waitlisted till late April and if by chance it goes on sale before then, I can get it for the sale price.  I am looking for something I can wear with a black or white shift  or other summer dresses, or with a tank and trousers or jeans or simple skirt.  Would love your thoughts!

So there are my random Saturday musings!  Tomorrow we will go to Tiffany's and Monday I will reveal the purchases, which were not a lot, since I was a very good shopper this time!!!!  Happy Saturday and stay safe out there!











35 comments:

  1. Wendy I think the tipped linen schoolboy in black is gorgeous, and wouldn't it be fetching with those stripey flats! Love both.
    I have a J.Crew jewelry review (compliments of my sister) up on my blog today, she was also very impressed by the jewelry out this spring.
    What a week it was, CBC played Stompin' Tom all day long the day after he died, he is a Canadian icon. I love his Tillsonburg song, it always reminds of my hometown which is south of there, it's all tobacco country down that way.
    I agree wholeheartedly: boy or girl WHO CARES. I think pregnancy is such an anxious time, health is the only concern as an expectant mother. I do wish they would leave Kate alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, you're right, Stompin Tom paints such a vivid picture of the trials of picking tobacco, even if you'd never been it takes you right there.

      Delete
    2. Only in Canada could we whole-heartedly love a man who writes these kinds of songs. My favourite is still Sudbury Saturday Night! We Canadians are a bit of a caricature, aren't we??? I am heading to your blog to take a look Dani - funny that she and I would have the same opinion!

      Delete
  2. TOQUE SWEET Yep WMM, I am struck on Conan in the hat. I am not a flag-waver much (unless it's for Clamato/ Caesars), but it always surprises me that so many musicians that are popular in the US are Canadian. Diane Sawyer said the nicest things about Leonard Cohen in an interview the other week.
    As for Kate, I think she knows exactly what she signed up for. At least the succession has been changed (look at example baby's Great G-Ma has set). The other "ladies" - 'nuff said. Mainly Again, I think it is a sad commentary on what passes for "news" these days, most everything is a gossip and entertainment, tabloid channel.
    Glad you were pleasantly surprised with something JC and of course I am so looking forward to "Blue Box" day. Appreciate a brand with a not entirely manufactured legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the news issue - a LOT of what I saw on the news was no news at all!!! I love that Blue Box Day! Out where we live we have to drive our blue box stuff to be recycled!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with your points above - Stompin' Tom is a legend in Canada (isn't it sad that all the golden oldies are dying...first the two guys from Royal Canadian Air Farce - the older one and then Roger Abbott, and now Stompin' Tom).

    And exactly - who cares if Kate has a boy or a girl. I really admire how she holds up, the British press has to be the most ruthless (US press a close second). I agree with Get Fresh, she knew what she was getting into, but anything she says or does is now known instantly because of internet, twitter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LR sometimes I wonder if the navel gazing/ celeb news is some kind of commentary on who "we" are now as a society i.e. more self-centred than our "parents'" generation, wanting escapism from economic and employment realities etc., determined to feel superior to someone else (schadenfreude). Yes, tabs were always tough, but entertainment, online, social media have taken it to a whole new level.

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely correct! Couldn't have said it better myself.

      Delete
    3. It definitely is Get Fresh, we ( collective we) have all dumbed down and organised religion is dying we're making Gods of the Kardashians etc. Caitlin Moran jour no over here whom I normally find too crass wrote an excellent column in The Times today about poor people and how they are marginalised and thought less of just because they have less money, it was a brilliant piece of writing.

      Delete
  4. Wow, great minds definitely think alike! As you know, I LOVE J. Crew jewelry. I think that they create really unique and fun pieces. And, I love the tipped linen schoolboy blazer. It's absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rynetta - I know you have seen most of these and i appreciate your input! And I KNOW you love your bling!!! me too!

      Delete
  5. I don't much like the fit of the schoolboy blazer - I find it a bit too structured and "work" like.
    And so sorry, but the striped ballet flats aren't doing it for me either. I feel horrible saying these things - hope you don't mind my honesty? I'm having a bad time with J.Crew, although they don't know it. They were always such a reliable standby for the basics in the old days, and now...so changed :( I know LA is very casual, but in the summer I often wear a blue jean jacket (don't scream Tabs) over a dress, which is a look I like a lot. I wear a blue one, and also a white one. I think the contrast of a pretty dress, with a denim jacket is very fresh - but I always like contradictions rather than too much matching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - you made me laugh out loud with your comment "I'm having a bad time with J Crew although they7 don't know it!" - that is hilarious! I am waiting to hear Tab's pronouncments on the jean jacket, but my impression (if I am wrong tell me!) that SO Cal invented this casual look and I think it looks nice, though I don't do it much myself.

      i know what you mean about the school boy, though I am wering my old navy wool one with baggy jeans today and liking it very much! No worries on the striped shoes - people's tastes are so different - wait for my Guggenheim post, where I am hoping you will help school me!

      Delete
    2. Wendy - I think the winter schoolboys are good - it's the summer versions that I find a bit too structured. I should be ignored about J.Crew, because of my above comment. I've got to send some blogger a photo of my J.Crew work boots that I've worn virtually 5 times a week for over 25 years. The good old days. But, of course Banana Republic carried safari styled clothing. I'm way older than everyone else who hangs out here.

      Delete
    3. i would love to see those boots! i don't think you are way older - there are many of us in our50s and others in their 60s. you look about 40 and these days i no longer feel 80 - does that count?

      Delete
    4. Kathy, I remember when Banana Republic debuted with their safari styled clothing! They could hardly be more different now from their beginnings.

      Delete
    5. I also like denim jackets Kathy. I have a couple of different ones that I wear over my dresses/maxidresses during the spring and even in the summer since the AC is always cranking anywhere you go here.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Dani- I had my eye on the Nora Flats- although I haven't tried them on. I have wonderful luck with the Ceces, but the Nora chain toe look awful on me. I like both of the blazers, but unless you are buying them for work , I find that as much as I admire the look, I wear many more light weight cardigans than blazers in the spring and summer. I have stopped looking at the jewelry, because, although I agree it is nicer in person, I still feel that it is so overpriced. I have many pieces I have bought on sale over the years, and am currently not that tempted by anything new. I can't wait to hear more about your trip. Unpacking is more of a chore than packing, isn't it?I also grew up with both of those shows. What a shame- 2 lovely ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I am also waiting on other releases. I did try on the featherweight cashmere in the mint shade and it was pretty, but refuse to pay full price! That really stopped me on buying anything overly fancy - not sure what I will be doing work-wise this spring and summer and really I do have a lot of things from the last two years. I tried on some cafe capris and have decided they are simply too baggy on me. No surprise - I do see a huge difference in my $240 per pair ponte knits from Paige Premium and my $69 J Crews... less is more, Wendy, less is more.... My new mantra!!!

      Delete
  7. So sad about Valerie Harper, I watched that show when I was young and she was my favourite, I wonder how one deals with news like that, it's really unfathomable. I really love the flat above, especially the split level nook.

    Yeah...don't like jean jackets, love our Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I always wanted Mary's apartment, though Rhoda's was so funky and cool! I don't know how you deal with it, but she is sure dealing with it with grace, I think! Maybe a jean jacket at a rodeo?

      Delete
    2. It is sad about VHarper. The most graceful of us choose to "live right along"* when given such a diagnosis. Truly an honor to help them.

      I am another jean jacket with dress offender. I just like it.(Sorry!) I like the black linen jacket with the white trim, if I could keep it white.

      Delete
    3. Hey Tabs - Kid Rock adores women in jean jackets. I would be re-thinking this for LA if I were you and wanted a chance with him. Of course a tattoo would help as well.

      Delete
    4. Lane - never thought of the "keep white" - arrgghh - I keep nothing white!!! Good point!!!

      Kathy - I think Tabs is going to have to embrace the jean jacket for sure. When we were driving through Maine I was listening to the top 40 from March 1976 and I swear. Dr. Hook sounds SOOOO much like Kid Rock! Never thought of it before but I thought of our Tabs and wonder if she met them on her travels...

      Delete
  8. I like those Schoolboys, but would you wear them if you aren't going into an office? I think the Nora ballets look cute. The bracelet is adorable but I think it is too delicate and would break the first time I rapped my wrist on something.

    Valerie Harper looks so cool in that picture, I love her outfit. I didn't watch her shows as much as I watched One Day at a Time, but I did watch sometimes and I always liked her & Bonnie Franklin.

    Speculation on Kate is that she slipped up and almost said the "D" word (Daughter) when an admirer gave her a teddybear for the baby. I tend to think it's a girl. I think it's natural to wonder and fun to speculate about a baby's sex, but too much when it turns into stalking. I hope Kate & William stay safe, they seem really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate - you are right! I think cardigans will better fit my life and I do have jackets if I do some work this spring... good catch!

      I hope Kate and William stay safe as well!

      Delete
  9. A bit late but I've been busy weeding. I feel the jealousy..but today was sooo nice. Anyhoo, the flats are nice. I do not do well with J Crew shoes. The blazer..meh. A bit dressy for casual wear and linen to boot. Not a fan of the wrinkles. I starch my pants inside and out to make them wear better. A lot of work. Unfortunately we are of "that age" when friends, family, and personal icons are struggling with mortality. Periodically I read the obits and count how many are close to my age. Is that weird or the norm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no jealousy - just inspirtion!

      I think you and my husband are soul mates - he would starch like that as well!!!

      I think it is common as we start to see our peers or parents go to do just that. I had a colleague pass away a few weeks ago in a skiing accident at 62. It sure gave me pause...

      Delete
  10. I was very sorry to hear about Stompin' Tom - his songs really were all about his love for Canada, and I can't think of anyone else who wrote songs about the Canadian experience. Re: your J. Crew picks, I seem to recall that someone on JCA wrote about the Schoolboy jacket in the bronze moss actually looked like it was covered in grass stains in real life? I could be wrong but I have a suspicion that the online photo is deceptive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh - yuck! will head over there and check it out!

      Delete
  11. I have a black jacket from Nordstrom that has the same type of white grosgrain trim as J Crew's tipped linen schoolboy. My jacket is at least 5 years old and the trim is still pristine... And I am a slob. If the sleeves are the correct length, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffy - that is great to know!! I was looking at a petite size, so I might be good!

      Delete
  12. Ok, if we are being honest. I would pass on the schoolboy blazers, and also on the shoes. There are so many cute options out there right now that are often better quality, and usually cost less, so don't limit yourself to J.Crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such sad news to about Valerie Harper! I always loved to watch her on the Mary Tyler Moore show, and then on Rhoda, of course. She always had such a great sense of style and humor.

      Delete
    2. Hi FFM - thanks for the advice! I am not buying full price no matter what at J Crew! I am sure that the few things I like will come WAY down in price before I could even wear it!! I am so sad about Valerie! But she definitely has the right attitude for sure and she will continue on with grace!

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...