Friday, March 22, 2013

Miller Time Friday! Dodging Brooklyn and Storyteller Scarves

Yippee!  Friday once again!

My goodness!  Our weeks together pass quickly!  I am always amazed that it is Friday once again...

This Friday is dedicated to Brooklyn.

But I have a confession: I have never been to Brooklyn....Not that such minutiae bother me.

As some of you know, I am making my way through the David McCullough canon.  My enthusiasm for Mr. McCullough borders on creepy, and I will not be surprised should he or his kin take out some kind of restraining order on me.  I bore one and all with my familiar refrain of "last night, I read..." and you can insert your own section on artists of the 19th century who lives in Paris, Teddy Roosevelt or the Brooklyn Bridge. 

 


The latter has resulted in me being obsessed with civil engineering, which is odd, given my lack of higher mathematical skills.  Regardless, it is a riveting story, and if you are not up for the book (which Barry most decidedly was NOT), you can order the documentary by Ken Burns, which Barry has done.  It has not arrived yet, but I assume it will be good as it is, after all, Ken Burns. 

\

Get yours here.  Barry is head cheerleader of the camp of "why would I read the book when Ken Burns can tell me the whole story in 60 minutes?"  It is hard to argue such logic and so I have not.

But then Madewell came along with their storyteller scarves.  Last summer I bought the parisianne scarf, which I love:

Parisienne Storyteller Scarf
And then, thanks to Fabulour Florida Mommy, I happened to see that Madewell had a sale and its City Bridges Storyteller scarf was part of that sale.  And guess what is on the City Bridges scarf?  Yup - the Brooklyn Bridge.  So of course, I had to have it!  I am now reading the biography of Teddy Roosevelt.  Do you think Madewell will do a Teddy scarf?  Because if they do, well, I think I should have a piece of that, don't you think??

Here it is on the site, now sadly sold out, though this is Mickey Land and you know that popbacks are possible:
City Bridge Storyteller Scarf
And here it is in real life:


The other four corners are the Manhattan Bridge, the George Washington Bridge and the Willamsburg bridge.  it is 70% cotton and 30% silk and will be so nice this summer with white or navy or my new red dress:




When we were in NYC, Barry and I had planned to walk the Brooklyn Bridge.  However, we had not factored in bitter winter weather.  It was simply too cold.  So my date with destiny awaits another day.  However here in the Maritimes it is important to mark all occasions, real or imagined, with a drink.  As such, I have taken it upon myself to do research on the Brooklyn Cocktail, which though yet untasted by me, the ingredients of which shall be in my NB Liquor basket tomorrow afternoon.  If it is good to go, I will mix a batch and meet you all on Dani's newly winterized front porch, no doubt newly winterized as we were getting to be too many for poor Mr. BP, who on Friday nights must now not only bring home the bacon but fry it up in the pan as we are on the porch drinking with his wife

Brooklyn recipe

Stir well in a mixing glass filled with ice cubes. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and serve

So thank you, FFM for the heads up and thank you, internet for the drink recipe!  When you drink this, drink to the memory of the bridgebuilder Colonel Roebling and his Wife Emily, who became a civil engineering savant herself.   They will appreciate it!  They are probably STILL tired after all their work 100+ years later!

As an aside, Les Miserables is being released on DVD today (we can discuss this more tomorrow).  Only allow me two Brooklyn cocktails please, or I shall be singing "I dreamed a dream" at the top of my lungs and with great gusto and pathos on the porch. 

I hope you have the loveliest of Fridays!  Stay Safe out There!

17 comments:

  1. oh shoot. I was totally into the scarf but blinked when it went on sale...will definitely keep an eye out for popbacks! very cute with the new red dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! when i ordered it last week, i didn't make the connection at all. then is just seemed to work! I like those scarves of theirs - they are such nice quality!

      Delete
  2. I loved very much reading this post WMM! I love the scarf. We have been several times in NYC, but I have never been on the Brooklyn bridge... The picture I keep in mind of this bridge is how is was used by all new yorkers as a refuge on 9/11... May be another time...
    And yes it is Friday, and yes I love it! I wish you a lovely week-end.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FunkySteph - you are right - that was such a powerful image - I will never forget it either!

      Am glad it is Friday!!

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful scarf, love it with the red dress! I think it's so interesting that you've become so smitten with the bridge, maybe you have an engineer in there trying to get out!
    Poor MrBP having to rustle up his own dinner while we lollygag on the porch, well what can you do, it's Miller Time.
    I'm happy it's the weekend, I'm so tired and looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wide awake this am at 6:30 and raring to go! must be nervous energy! Does Mr. BP have any signature dishes??? I bet he makes a mean martini! Am off to do some housework this morning and then plan to start some spring laundering - curtains, etc. When do you clean your tweeds? I have decided I will no longer wear tweed trousers after end of next week. I am tired of looking at them!!

      Delete
  4. BRIDGING THE GAP Wow, that dress is a happy accessory camper. I like vermouth in martinis and the occasional rye-based cocktail, but my brain is saying firmly, "Never together," despite my love for the bridge walk, restos, shops and bars of Brooklyn. When you try please report. And have a REALLY good day WMM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of my relationship with lemon gin. It is the devil's drink to me. Funny how one bad experience can change one together. I actually loathe rye. I will give it a try, because well, I am a good camper, but ick. I think I may try to do this bridge this fall or maybe next summer. Then I could do the high line as well! and birding in central park! Poor Barry!

      Delete
  5. Did you know that David McCullough's wife does most of the research for his books, very quietly and in the background? Great scarf - love the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I think that is why he was especially drawn to the Brooklyn Bridge story. I believe he has other researchers as well. Maybe I should volunteer to be one, too!

      Delete
  6. The Merry Husband and I got married in Brooklyn, not far from the Bridge. Very fun neighborhood. Happy Friday, WMM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi WMM, I'm a Brooklyn resident and love the sight of the bridge and love to walk it in warm weather. But, if you can wait, I would put off the trip to next year. The bridge has been under repair since 2010, and I think it's expected to go into 2014. It did need the work, but unfortunately they've erected high walls to protect pedestrians over a good portion of the span. Initially the walls were on the Brooklyn half, but now they are on the Manhattan side. You can still see good views where it's not covered, but no views (and a bit restrictive for my taste) where you have the walls. DN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anon! Thanks for the heads up! That is so good to know - must be a 2014 thing then!

      Delete
  8. I just got back from work and a Brooklyn sounds delightful! I love scarves that have meaningful prints. That would make a fabulous pillow! When I get past my new batch of deadlines, I am going to look for McCullough books- I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Knityarns!

      It would make a nice pillow, wouldn't it - I love scarves like that as well!

      Delete
  9. That bridges scarf is gorgeous with your red dress!!

    I missed it too but just managed to get it on backorder. I hope it ships. Husby is from NY, think that makes it a must (any excuse will do). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...