Saturday, September 15, 2012

Emerson Fry Fall 2012

This fall's offerings thus far from J Crew have left me, well, underwhelmed. 

It should be noted that I am working very hard to not shop right now.  That will be hard to prove - some things I purchase in last month will be debuted soon, but I truly am being good right now and do not plan to buy a thing for several more weeks and try much harder to stick to my list!  The recent offerings from J Crew, which has truly been my go-to place for the last 5 years for clothing, has made that restraint so much easier!

I have heard many wonderful things about Emerson Fry from many of you, so when I checked my email late last night and had a lovely notice from Emerson Fry that their fall early release was now on line, I took a visit over there this morning and saw a lot to love...

I don't even know where to begin.  The styling, the items themselves, all are tastefully and interestingly presented. 

The coats:



This one is described as The Big Peacoat in Charcoal Grey and more details can be seen here.  This is perfection to me!  I was certain I was buying the Majesty peacoat in October, now I am not so sure...

And how about the Wingtip Jacket in Mineral Blue:


source: here
Or the patch pocket coat in herringbone?


source: here
How about the column skirt in gold ochre silk velvet?  this and a black tshirt could be all I need for fancy events for the rest of my life!


source:here
or the high skirt in mocha herringbone?


source: here
The Emerson Pant in Cobalt would have pride of place in my wardrobe:


see it here
Or the Sailor Pants in Kick Flare:


source: here
Or the Emerson Shirting Lilac Floral


source: here
 Or the Crewneck Sweater:


source: here
How about the top patch slingbacks in bronze and racing green?  At 4", they are way to tall for me, but those of you with high arches and better backs and posture than I might be in luck:


source: here
I would top it all off with a noir ring:


source: here
and the rose calfskin gloves:



In the blog they say this about the gloves:

The question is what won't these gloves be doing for u. Consider them at the office. Let them guide you in your paper work. Straight into the trash can? it was the gloves. They know what to do. Wear them in your correspondences. will soon find that walking down the hall to show off your gloves while you talk is more important than emails. And really it is. Emails can fucking wait. The gloves are happening now. Great gift to self. great gift to others. Romantic or otherwise. Or non romantic. if u know someone who needs to be slapped with an extremely supple gloved hand, these gloves are for you. 

Sorry for the swears (as my son would say!) but had to copy this in full as I thought it was hilarious and made me really think I NEED these gloves!  I may retire and write for the Emerson Blog, but I suspect WFF is already on staff...

I know - there is a lot here, but honestly, I was blown away by the simplicity of the pieces and the elegant way they are presented.  I do not own any Emerson Fry pieces and have no idea if I could/should be an Emerson Fry woman based on sizing, etc, but I really love this line and I think I will order something in October (perhaps the peacoat?) and give it a try!

what do you think?

have a happy and safe saturday!!!












27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that email too, and fell for the gloves and all kinds of stuff. Sighing. I want to look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you POSITIVE you are not their copywriter???? Confess!!!!

    Isn't it divine? I think I would rather have two really lovely pieces like this than all the fluff! And I love that they make their clothes in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh it's amazing! The copy on the gloves! Yes that has stolen our hearts, scarred as we are by the Copywriter From Space! I agree, Fred are you writing for Emerson Fry?
    Okay I'm going to go and look now. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Didn't you think that had WFF written all over it?

      Delete
  5. So much better than the ubiquitous "pop of color"! Not familiar with Emerson Fry beyond other blog mentions but your picks have piqued my curiousity. Headed over for a look-see too. Those shoes look pretty special if only it wasn't for our construction cracked TO streets (hell on heels). Oh, I decided what happened to JC's fall roll-out in my head, Holts (Colly) and Reitmans (Poly) had a love child and then no one showed it how to dress. DBP & Uncle Tom snark now over :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah hah, that toe-patch slingback is lined in kidskin, which many (pricier) JC shoes no longer are. However, my order fingers are spared for now at least, since always worry about the stretch-and-slippage factor of buckle-less slingbacks.

      Delete
    2. Well GetFresh! I was spared the shoes as I cannot possibly walk in 4" heels and thus would be forced to be carried around like an egyptian princess wherever I went!!!

      YOu know - your analogy of the lovechild is good!! I was walking by Reitmans yesterday and saw in the window that their fall offerings (many of which were not terrible to be honest) were poly offerings of J Crew. The best J Crew knockoff for me for casual is Joe Fresh - which actually uses real fabrics!

      Or is JCrew simply ripping everyone off? Oh the fashion industry!!

      Delete
  6. I love all of these, but I can never order from them again, they shipped through Fedex and the taxes and duties came to three quarters of the cost of the dress, it was a horrific shock.

    I want to look like this too, I love the J Crew majesty peacoat but it is a bi cheap looking, I think this will be better quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hate that copy, they actually wrote"u" uuurgh and swearing? Nop, not classy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - we may have to mule these to you tabs! We do slightly better in Canada on the shipping although I might have it delivered to Maine and drive the hour there to get it, depending...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I confess. I like some of Emerson Fry's pieces. But I don't think they are TDF. I think that the one thing that makes the pieces seem more rich and luxe is that they actually fit. No shrunken jackets, no uber slim coats, no postage stamp minis. As AJC said in her blog(to paraphrase) "one forgets that there are dresses out there that actually fit- no funny high waists, too short skirts, etc." I do appreciate the quality materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the great thing about taste - we are all different - makes the worls so much for interesting!!

      Delete
    2. or perhaps "the world so much more interesting...." That was an interesting copywriter moment...

      Delete
  10. Such pretties! I do love the styling, but find it hard to get a feel of how the items themselves look. The huge pea coat is my favorite piece, but could never be justified in my mild climate. I am going to inquire on Monday about the price of the black handbag-which could be great for work. The pumps are gorgeous, but 4" heels are a fleeting memory for me and my troublesome feet. If you order, please review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do so, Julie! Still not sure if I will order! It is a it nerve-wracking when you have never seen in person. WOnder if WFF has?

      4" heels are way beyond me and my troublesome feet as well!! I cannot imagine that! I see those movie stars in their shoes and all I can think about is how much their feet must hurt! That is why I so admire Sofia Coppola - she always looks comfortable AND cool!

      Delete
  11. I do like the coats. The copy rubs me a wrong way. I don't like how you cannot see full view of many items, how ami supposed to shell out $$$ if I don't know what I am buying ? And I hate how they raised the price on French slang backs from 125 to 185 just because they sold well. Prices are through the roof and a lot of it is just smoke and mirrors. What I bought from them was ok but not quite magical, I would not say the price was justified by the workmanship or style, I think it is decent but very hyped up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot you ordered from them! I remember now - it was a bit of a disappointment, wasn't it?

      I feel at times it is all getting to be smoke and mirrors and he who shoots the best pictures or lights things the best wins all!

      Delete
    2. I was bothered that I couldn't see the full view of the velvet column skirt in the yellow. It looks pretty, then I saw the front view in the other colors and it looks like it comes up to one's armpits. I think the clothes are very pretty but they are all for my fantasy life, where I am tall, thin and blonde like the model and have places to wear these clothes :)

      Delete
    3. You are so funny! Imagine where it would hit on me - over my head!

      Delete
  12. I'm not buying clothes right now, there's a little Elizabeth Locke piece I'm pining over and every time I look at the c**p I'm throwing out, I bemoan the wasted money. I am very glad to have ajc's input, it's helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so with you! I threw out bags this summer (well, donated) and felt ill - it was probably $1000+ - andi am about to return another JC item Monday that does not fit the same as another identical and identically sized item. So discouraging. however, I am unwilling to keep anything that is not loved entirely anymore or of questionable quality...

      Delete
  13. Out of all of that, I would buy the EF Trainers (in the look with the Patch Pocket Coat in Herringbone), I think they are adorable, but they are $185! Does EF ever have sales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea - I bet WFF knows! I think I learned about EF from WFF and AJC.

      Delete
    2. Their sales are only at the end of the season from my experience. Like not so long ago they started their spring sale and stil have some 'ends'.

      Delete
  14. There are so many things at Emerson Fry that I love right now. I have never ordered from them, so I have no idea how the sizing is compared to other brands such as J.Crew and Kate Spade. Does anyone happen to know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've ordered both shoes and blouses from EF and can report that the quality was just so-so. The sizing is a bit smaller than JCrew (I wear size 0-2 and xs and found the tops to be a bit snug in this size range). The shoes were of average quality and I had no problem returning them. But the styling seems so fresh and appealing, and the copy (although controversial) is different enough to catch your attention that I keep returning to look at the site.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...