Friday, August 10, 2012

The Night Circus

The picture of the dancing bears in yesterday's post made me think of the circus.

When I was a kid, we did a pilgrimage each year to Boston to see the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus. 

It was so magical - we would go to the old Boston Gardens, eat cotton candy and popcorn till we were staggeringly full, and be mesmerized by the acts!




One of the greatest thrills of my life was seeing the great Gunther Gebel Williams with his tigers.



Of course, times change and circus acts with animals are not particularly popular with the public now for many reasons, but at the time, for me, the whole thing was amazing!

So when I noticed this book at the local bookshop last fall, I was immediately intrigued:


The Night Circus

 About The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.
The towering tents are striped in white and black, no golds and crimsons to be seen. A black sign painted in white letters hangs upon the gates.

"Opens at Nightfall. Closes at Dawn."


The Author, Erin Morgentern, takes her readers on an amazing adventure of magic and intrigue and love set against the backdrop of Victorian England and the mysterious night circus!  It is extremely well written and reminded me a bit of another book I really love, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norris.  I began this book one evening at around 7 pm and stayed up till 2 am to get through it all as I was completely sucked in to the amazing world that she creates!

The author has a great website, which you can check out here.

If you read this and like it, let me know!  It was really wonderful and is out in paperback as well now!

If you have not read this book and are looking for a really fun and immersing read this summer, this is the book for you!

7 comments:

  1. I am almost finished with this book! I will let you know how I like it. It may depend on the ending. I didn't realize it was of the sci-fi/fantasy genre when I started it, so it has been unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really positive reviews about! Going to finish up my current book before reading "The Night Circus".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      I think you will like it. It is certainly a different kind of read, given the fantasy aspect of it, but it is really well done and sucks you in to its world!

      Delete
  3. Okay I'm done reading it now. I thought it was well done. I still don't think this is my favorite genre, but I liked this book in particular. You definitely get a sense of time and place. If this were made into a movie, we'd be talking about the fashions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think we would also be talking a LOT about interior decor as you can just imagine the sumptiousness of the materials, as well as "the found objects" from all over the world! I thought it was a great read for a first time author!

      Delete
  4. Loved this book - reminded me of Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. If you are ever in Sarasota, you must visit the Ringling Museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks i am going to Florida in March, so will try and do this!

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...